Wednesday, September 2, 2009

BBQ Meatloaf

I was longing for some comfort food tonight, but it had to be healthy-ish. So using my mom's basic meatloaf recipe, I threw this thing together. It was quite good, in fact, my salivary glands just went into over time. My own complaint is keeping the oven on for an hour, oh and meatloaf is just...ugly in its full form. My solution, make it in muffin tins. I saw this in a kids magazine but its brilliant. You only have to cook them for twenty minutes and you get more of that yummy crusty edge.




My BBQ Meatloaf:

1 pound lean ground turkey
4 slices turkey bacon, preferably browned and very finely chopped
1 egg
½ C wheat germ
1 T BBQ rub
½ C bbq sauce divided
1 small onion, finely chopped
½ green pepper, finely diced

Preheat oven to 350
Pour meat, most of bacon, wheat germ, bell pepper, 3 Tablespoons BBQ sauce, BBQ rub and half of onion in a bowl and mix together, with your hands. Wash those paws and now mix the BBQ sauce with the rest of the bacon and onion. Shape the meet into a loaf and make the top middle a little concave. Add the sauce on top and rub around. Make sure you get a little on the sides. Cook for 1 hr.

No comments:

Post a Comment