Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Strawberry Crumb Cake

In hopes of finding high calorie foods I can pretend are not dessert, I came across this wonderful recipe. Coffee cake with strawberries in it, how unheard of, so I bolted to the grocery store. The early AM excursion was definitely worth it. Minus the part where I showed up home late and my very pregnant friend was waiting at my door. Did I mention she carried in my groceries, then held my baby while I made this cake? Bet you're just dying to be my friend now...

I'm sure the butter in this cake could be cut back by using applesauce in the actual cake part and possibly creating a smaller crumb layer. But you see nursing a child seems to make me a hungry monster(see above not of how I treat my friends when I'm hungry).

Strawberry Crumb Cake

1 C flour-I use white wheat, white is okay too
1/2 C white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C milk
1 egg
2 T butter, melted

1 pint of strawberries, washed and sliced

4 T cold butter
1/2 C white flour
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 375
Mix the first four(dry) ingredients. Add the milk, butter and egg and mix until just combines. Layer in a 8*8 square or a 9 inch springform(my preference for looks and convenience). Layer strawberries on top of the batter. Cut butter into the other 1/2 C sugar and 1/2 C flour, a food processor works great here. Add pecans to butter mixture. Layer on top of strawberries*. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until crumb is lightly brown.

*When I make crumb topping I like it to be cruncy, so I will grab a handful of the mixture and squeeze it into a ball before I sprinkle it on top, that way there are chunks;)

No comments:

Post a Comment