Sunday, September 27, 2009

Asian Slaw

I am not a coleslaw person. Maybe it's the cabbage, or the mayo..I don't know. I do however love asian slaw. I fell in love with this stuff when I had it at Rumbi's. However, not very many islanders where I live. I told Ryan we needed to draft some so we could get some good hawaiin style restaurants out here. So if your feelin some asian slaw, give this a try.
I forgot to take a photo, but here is a blurry snapshot of the leftovers.



Crunchy Asian Slaw:

1/3 c cider vinegar
¼ c sugar
2 T canola oil
2 T honey
2 T soy sauce
1 T olive oil, or sesame if you have it
¼ c slivered almonds
¼ c sunflower seeds
1 package ramen, crushed
8-10 c shredded napa cabbage
1 bag of shredded carrots,
3 scallions, sliced

Combine cider vinegar, sugar, oil, honey and soy sauce in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes and stir.
In a small sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add almonds, sunflower seeds, and noodles to toast, stirring constantly. Once you see the mixture turning golden, remove from heat.
In a very large bowl, add the cabbage, carrots and shallot. About 15-30 minutes before you are ready to serve the salad, toss the dressing and noodle/nut mixture with the cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment