Saturday, September 5, 2009

Applesauce

I have never been so happy to round the corner into fall. Summer just flew by, but down here in the south, the heat gets old, fast. Plus, fall brings apples. Lots of them. Cheap ones. Yummy ones. Too bad I don't have any neighbors that I can steel an apple from every time I walk by their house. I must admit, I did this daily as a kid. What? I was skinny. I needed a snack on my walk home from school.
This stuff is so easy and everyone loves it. Yes, everyone. At least around this place. My hubby, my baby, my friends, and their babies too. (I bet the dog would, if I had one.
If you are one of those moms who does baby food homemade, give this a try, just skip the sugar. You can freeze it, or even can it if you are motivated like Cherish.










Easy Applesauce:

one bag of apples, size is not too important
one handful or two of brown sugar
1-2 cinnamon sticks
2-4 T water
1 T lemon juice
Peel, core and slice your apples. Immediately rub with the lemon juice. Throw them in the crock pot with the sugar, water and cinnamon sticks. After about three hours on high, they should be very fork tender. Remove cinnamon stick. Do not miss any. Throw them in the blender, but do not fill over half when hot. I like mine smooth but with a few little chunks, you can make yours smooth, just don't blend too long. It gets a weird texture.

1 comment:

  1. I read one applesauce recipe that said to throw a cinnamon stick in each jar when canning it, so I'm sure this would be yummy!

    ReplyDelete