Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fish Tacos

I am not a big fish fan, but given it's nutritional content, I have learned ways to make it edible. At least according to my standards. My mom would just kill me if she knew how often we ate fish around here. I turned my nose so high up at the stuff I probably fell on my back as a kid. Then once, I met Ryan, me and fish were forced to be friends. What do you do with loads of free sushi and coconut halibut? You learn to love it baby. There is just no other way.

These were simple, what do I have in my fridge tacos, but they were simply delicious.




For the Fish:

4 tilapia filets
1 T honey
1 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp olive oil

Put the oil in your pan and heat it up for a minute. Rub one side of the fish with chiptle and one with salt and pepper. Throw the salt and pepper side down and cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until browned. Flip the fish and rub honey on the top side of each fish. Let cook another 3-5 minutes. Slice into strips and serve in taco.


Salsa Verde:

adapted from Tyler Florence

1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 jalapeno, with the stem cut off
1 small red onion, quartered
4 to 6 garlic cloves
1 tsp sea salt
1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves coarsely chopped
2 lime, juiced

Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the tomatillos, jalapeno, onion, garlic, and 1 tablespoon salt. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes until the tomatillos are soft but have not burst. Drain and reserve cooking liquid. Add the cooked vegetables to a blender with the cilantro leaves and lime juice. *Pour in 1/4 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and process to a coarse puree - be careful when you process the hot liquid as it will expand - so make sure you hold the lid down firmly. Taste and adjust seasoning with more cilantro, lime juice, or salt according to preference.

***Ryan declaired this his new favorite salsa. However, one way it could be made better, roast the vegetables in the oven for 10 minutes instead of boiling it. Dare someone to try it, then you can tell me if it is worth turning my oven on in this year round heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment