Monday, August 31, 2009

Just For Kakes

My sister in law wanted this recipe. I don't currently have any pictures of it...maybe another time. I found a few tomato soup recipes, but my friend Tasha told me about this website that has some great recipes. I have a sensitive stomache so I altered it a little to fit our needs. Enjoy

1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 stalk celery, diced
1 small carrot, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves or ½-1 tsp dried


Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle half of the olive oil and roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil. Puree with a hand held immersion blender until smooth.Rookie’s Notes: Immersion blender? It’s okay- I don’t have one either. But I do have a blender. Make sure you let the soup cool for about 5 minutes. Pour it in to the blender, put the lid on but not all the way. Leave it open just a little to allow steam to escape. Hold a towel over the top and pulse a few times. Then let ‘er rip and blend until smooth. You most likely will have a small spill, but that is what the towel is for.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much!!! You are the coolest couple ever, I love this blog!

    ReplyDelete